Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hot For Dots

Well, dotting tools that is! I recently came across these little beauties on Amazon.com for about $5.00 USD and since I'm a subscriber to Amazon Prime I got them in 2 days with no shipping, which was great because I'm so impatient I wouldn't have been able to wait any longer than that. I ended up buying 2 sets and have a couple of doubles but that's ok by me. Especially since I use lots of colors and like to have the same size for different colors. 





These tools are double sided, which you can't tell because my picture only shows one side and they come in a variety of colors. I love the swirl in the middle and the different colors are nice if I'm using a lot of different sizes I don't reach for one and accidentally grab another. Another thing I love is that they're light weight and the tips are real metal and not that coated plastic so if you use nail polish remover to take off excess polish the silver doesn't rub off. Which, trust me, I've been hurt in the past by cheap beauty supplies like that. 




Since I was alone today I had to take the pictures by myself so bear with me if they're a little blurry or hard to understand. Here you can see I'm just doing a basic white dot with a smaller tipped dotting tool. One thing to mention is that the tools, while small, do hold a lot of polish so if you're wanting to do smaller dots always try it out on a surface before you try to dot it on your nail. I made the mistake of using a smallish tipped tool and ended up with a huge blob. 





So this is the finished product of the white dots. I think they're fun and very girly. Or you could make it more punk and do pink background with black dots or vice versa. I love dots but they do take some practice and getting used to. I like to have a nail polish remover soaked cotton ball on hand to wipe off the tip of the tool I'm using because they can get gunky and sticky. This can cause nail polish strings to follow the tool and fall on your nail. It sounds weird but just keep the tips clean. 




You can't really tell but that white thing in the corner is a paint palette I got at a Michael's craft store for 99 cents and it's definitely good to swatch your dots on and to hold nail polish. I'll go more into that later. 

Alright, so we covered dots or spots and whatnot but another one of my favorite things you can use the dotting tools for is to make hearts. I know, I know there are literally 1,001 things you can use dotting tools for but this is my favorite so there. 


Start by making a small oval with the dotting tool, just make a dot and drag it down towards you a little bit. 


Next, you'll want to make another one just like the first one but on the other side. It's absolutely easy and the results are frickin' adorable! I love the red hearts even if Valentine's Day is over this is a sweet way to celebrate all year long. 
This is the finished product of my heart nail. Now, just as with the dots you can absolutely make smaller hearts or one big one it depends on your mood and how far you are into learning how to use them.

Again, I know that there are thousands of things to do with these tools these are just my two favorites and the easiest to learn. I'll give a link at the bottom of the page to buy these on Amazon if you are interested.




Have fun and stay beautiful!


2 comments:

  1. very cute! i don't know if i could do it on my left hand though.

    and be careful with amazon prime... it is a downward spiral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know that if I do the one click checkout I'll be addicted so I have to stay away from that. And I have trouble doing my nails on my right hand. It looks like a kindergartener did it.

      Delete